Friday, December 8, 2023

Tonight is the Second Night of Hannukah

To Light or Not to Light, That is the Question

I bought a menorah (hanukkiah for you purists) for the trip and came face-to-face with my own hypocrisy. I "observe" Hannukah as a celebration of family with gifts for the kids & grandkids and latkes with friends. While I claim to be an atheist, there's no question that I'm 'culturally Jewish.' But since October 7th, no one gets to be Jew"ish." My thought was to bring the menorah to the dining car every evening and invite people to light the candles. The moral dilemma is this: Am I lighting candles just to be provocative? Do I light them as a declaration? Do I not light them and avoid what might be an ugly scene aboard the train? Since I board after sundown tonight, this won't be a question until Saturday evening...and I'm happy to  take your thoughts/comments/reactions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment